Contact Our Team Today:

How to Initiate a Nursing Home Complaint About Your Loved One’s Care

How do you initiate a nursing home complaint?

It’s a good question and one that many families ask when they encounter abuse of a loved one.  As an experienced nursing home abuse firm, we understand that it’s not easy to do the initial research. Here are some tips on how to get started with a nursing home complaint.

Start at the State Level

Many nursing home complaints are made initially at the state level. Each state has a department of public health or other agency that can get involved.

Many states require residents use particular forms to send in a complaint to a state agency. Most states have transparent contact information, and they will help the family get through all stages of the complaint process. Although, families that are typically concerned about elder abuse will often seek legal counsel to help them as they move with the process.

Government Programs

Families can also get help from Medicare. Many nursing home residents are on Medicare insurance from the federal government. The Federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services also provide help with filing complaints. On its website, Medicare suggests that the family of someone in a nursing home is able to file a complaint about facility conditions, such as:

  • Extreme temperatures: rooms too hot or too cold
  • Problems with food
  • Unhygienic conditions or practices
  • Safety hazards

In the above types of cases, Medicare suggests that you file a complaint with your state’s Department of Health.

In the event, you’re filing a complaint about a doctor in some area of medical negligence or malpractice, or issues with a license or professional conduct, Medicare suggests that you contact your states, medical board.

Securing Counsel

Although state agencies and federal agencies provide resources for families, one of the best ways to file a nursing home complaint involves talking to a lawyer early on. A professional nursing home abuse lawyer can give you the tools to pursue this problem the right way. They’ll give you the information to act from a confident and informed perspective. And they’ll give you the strategy that will ultimately help your loved one to get a better result and a better quality of life.

Talk to the Law Office of Steve Watrel about any situation where you suspect a family member has unfortunately been a victim of nursing home abuse. Let us help to explain your family’s rights under the law, and how to go about exercising those rights. If you’re going up against a nursing home facility in a nursing home abuse case, having the right counsel can make a big difference. Let us help you to pursue justice for a family member.


Share This Story

If you find this topic intriguing, it is likely that your friends will too! Why not share this story on your social media platforms?

Need Help? Contact Steve.

Steve Watrel, P.A. is the only accident and injury law attorney that has been personally fighting against nursing home abuse for 30 years in Jacksonville. Contact us and see the difference today.

136 East Bay St.
Jacksonville, FL 32202
uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram